Here you can match songs with their themes! They can range from heartbreak, to seasons, places, and food! Let's do this!!!

Views: 453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're So Welcome Sadie!! I'm Glad you enjoyed the vids and the memories!! :-)

I love that song "Eleanor" by The Turtles!!!!

re: " I always thought it almost sounds like he's going to sing "Eleanor Rigby" but it's actually "Eleanor, really?"

LOL!! It almost sounds like that! ;-)

Howard Kaylan's voice was Great!!! Loved some of the Turtles songs!!! :-)

I'm not sure if we mentioned how Led Zep has a song called "The Rain Song".

The Searchers have a song called "What Have They Done To The Rain".

R.I.P. Billy Adamson of The Searchers who died a few days ago!

I remember Both of those Songs!!! :-) Both were Good Songs!!

It's Sad that so many of the older Rockers are dying off!! :-((

For the "sun" songs theme

The Sundowners were an opening act for The Monkees once (so was Jimi Hendrix! LOL weird). The Sundowners have a song called Sunny Day People.

Thanks for posting this Sadie!! I never heard of The Sundowners before.
LOL!! Did you notice the name of the guy who posted this video? Richard "Orifice"  LOL  ;-)
I found this info about the band.  Cool!

While pop/rockers the Sundowners never scored a hit during their career in the mid-'60s, for such a little-known band they managed to cast a long shadow, touring with some of the biggest acts of the day and appearing on television and in major motion pictures. Formed in Lake George, NY in 1959, the original lineup of the Sundowners consisted of Eddie Brick on lead vocals, Dominick DeMieri on lead guitar and vocals, Eddie Placidi on guitar and vocals, Bobby Dick on bass and vocals, and Kim Capli on drums. In 1965, after earning a loyal local following, the group cut a single for the Coed Records label, "Leave Me Never" backed with a cover of Chuck Berry's "Around and Around." In 1966, the Sundowners moved to Los Angeles in hopes of shifting their career into high gear, and cut a second single for Filmways Records featuring two original songs, "Ring out Wild Bells" b/w "When the Sun Goes Down." In 1967, the Sundowners were playing an engagement at the famed Sunset Strip club Ciro's when Michael Nesmith of the Monkees saw the band perform; impressed, he invited them to join the group's summer concert tour as their opening act, and they also backed the Monkees for a show-closing medley of rock oldies. (The tour's openers also included Jimi Hendrix and Ike & Tina Turner, putting the Sundowners in excellent company.) In 1967, they were signed to Decca Records, and released the Beatlesque single "Always You" b/w "Dear Undecided"; the A-side was written by Tony Asher and Roger Nichols, and the sessions were produced by studio legend Bones Howe. In 1968, the band released their only LP, Captain Nemo, which was produced by guitarist DeMieri. While the album would become a cult favorite with fans of sunshine pop and light psychedelia, it didn't sell well, and the group fared better as actors in the year of its release. In February, the Sundowners guest starred as "The Raspberry Wristwatch" on "A Very Warm Reception," an episode of the espionage drama It Takes a Thief, while in September they appeared as "Sonny and the Sundowners" (with Paul Petersen playing their lead singer) on the "Song of Bertrille" episode of the comedy The Flying Nun. the Sundowners can also be seen and heard briefly in the movie Don't Make Waves, which starred Tony Curtis, Claudia Cardinale and Sharon Tate.

Interesting!!! Thanks Sadie!!  :-)

Hey Beatlebob! Omg thanks for all that information! The name Michael Nesmith in bold letters got my attention! LOL I never heard of The Sundowners either until recently. I was browsing through YouTube and found their song called "Always You" which I love, then I was reading up about The Monkees and saw they had an opening act called The Sundowners. I wondered if it was the same band, and sure enough it is! So I thought that was cool. That's also awesome how they were on the show It Takes A Thief! I have The Flying Nun complete series on DVD, so I'll look for them on that particular episode! And I'm also interested in seeing the movie "Don't Make Waves" now! To spot The Sundowners, and because I like Sharon Tate and Tony Curtis!!! And it sounds like a beach film? lol have a nice day, Beatlebob! :-)

Hey Sadie! You're Welcome! I Knew putting the name Michael Nesmith in bold letters would get your attention!!! LOL! ;-) Yeah, it was Cool that The Sundowners was the same band as the opening act for The Monkees you were reading about!! ;-) I couldn't find any clips of them performing in "Don't Make Waves" But, I did find the one in The Flying Nun. LOL! ;-) And found a Link to a clip form It Takes A Thief! This is something I found about the movie "Don't Make Waves".

"Don't Make Waves"

This is a very strange film. It's a farce, with all the door slamming and misunderstandings that the genre implies. It also has a touch of How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. I guess what makes it strange to me is it keeps shifting focus and you're not sure who to root for.

It's the story of Carlo Cofield (Curtis), a Midwesterner who heads to southern California to start fresh. As he arrives he stops on a hillside to admire the view and a careless girl (Cardinale) bumps his car, which rolls down the hill and catches fire, destroying everything he owns. When the careless girl blames him for blocking the road with his burning car he blows up. They eventually mend fences and she invites him to stay in her apartment for the night so he can get back on his feet. Of course a girl as beautiful as Claudia Cardinale wouldn't be unattached. Her married boyfriend arrives and they hurriedly try and hide his presence and him. The boyfriend eventually discovers him, and Carlo blackmails him into giving him a job selling swimming pools. Here's where the How to Succeed plot line comes in - Carlo is quite an operator. In a few short weeks he wrangles himself a glamorous house perched high on a hill, complete with Rolls Royce. The sub-plots abound aplenty - Carlo has become obsessed with a beach bum sky diver (Sharon Tate) who rescued him from drowning. Everything he's done has been aimed at getting the girl away from her muscle boy boyfriend (David Draper). Laura (Cardinale) wants to marry her already married boyfriend, whose wife owns the company he runs. She finds out and wants to divorce him - from herself and her company. It all culminates in a dramatic rain storm that threatens to spectacularly topple the house on the hill, which they all find themselves in.

The Sundowners on "The Flying Nun"

Here is a Link to The Sundowners in It Takes A Thief:

http://vimeo.com/55706802

:-)

OMG!!!! Thanks Beatlebob! I really enjoyed those 2 videos! They cracked me up! Lmao!!!! And that poster says The Byrds sing the theme song to that movie! That makes it even more awesome! Can't wait to see it!!!

You're So Welcome Sadie!! The videos cracked me up too!! LMAO!! ;-) Yes, the Byrds sing the theme song! :-) I found it. :-)

"Don't Make Waves" - The Byrds (Sharon Tate Stills)

Hey Beatlebob!!! Thanks for posting that video!! I don't think I've ever heard that Byrds song before. I Like it!! Makes me even more excited to finally see the film! And I enjoyed all the pictures of Sharon Tate! She was so pretty, it's a shame she was murdered! I forgot she was "Janet" in The Beverly Hillbillies! LoL I love that show!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

Latest Activity

BeatleBob posted a status
"Have a Happy Halloween!! :-)"
Oct 15, 2019
BeatleBob replied to 60s Fan's discussion Rest In Peace Page
Oct 15, 2019
BeatleBob commented on 60s Fan's photo
Oct 15, 2019